Assault & Battery
Assault and battery are two different but related crimes that frequently happen simultaneously and, as a result, are usually prosecuted jointly. Assault involves the act of threatening to injure someone, while battery refers to the actual act of violence. Both assault and battery are taken extremely seriously in a court of law and carry heavy penalties including jail time and more.
Assault and Battery Conviction
Persons who are convicted of assault and battery often face the following consequences:
- Expensive fines
- Trouble finding or keeping a job
- Mandatory counseling and/or anger management classes
Assault and Battery Defense
The South Carolina criminal attorneys at the Strom Law Firm, LLC have experience dealing with assault and battery defense cases. Our familiarity with prosecutorial techniques, knowledge of South Carolina criminal law, and our understanding and genuine concern for the rights and liberty of people facing criminal investigation and arrest ensure that you will receive a vigorous, well-planned defense.
Possible defenses may include:
- Consent – The alleged victim consented to the harm
- Prevention of a crime – In certain situations, the use of violence or force is allowed to prevent a crime.
- Self defense, defense of property, or defense of others – Force can legally be used to stop physical harm to oneself, someone else, or to prevent the harm or theft of an individual’s possessions.
The top South Carolina assault and battery defense lawyers at the Strom Law Firm, LLC can provide for defense on charges of:
- Assault and battery
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Gang-related assault
- School fighting
- Disorderly conduct
- Resisting arrest
- Battery on a police officer
- Domestic violence
- Sexual assault
Being arrested or investigated for a crime can mean many things. What it does not mean is that you are guilty or that you have no rights.
For experienced criminal defense attorneys who will fight for you whether the case involves a drug possession, misdemeanor or felony drug trafficking, and/or murder charges — call or contact us in Columbia, South Carolina, today.