How to Select Your South Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney
Locating a Columbia, South Carolina Criminal Defense Attorney
Anyone faced with a legal problem knows the most common question asked, “Who is the best criminal defense attorney in South Carolina.”
To determine who is best suited to represent you, there are several factors that you need to consider:
- The attorney-client relationship is built upon trust and you should select an attorney that you feel comfortable with.
- Your attorney needs to know everything that happened. Don’t be fooled into thinking that your secret won’t get out or that something that happened is not relevant. An attorney cannot prepare an adequate defense without knowing all of the facts related to the case. Early disclosure may prevent a roadblock later in your case which could have been avoided.
- Make sure that you understand what your attorney’s “fee” covers.
- Make sure that your attorney discusses the charge(s) against you, what the prosecutor must prove or establish to find you guilty, and the potential criminal penalties for the particular crime involved.
- Ask your attorney how many cases he or she has tried in the past and whether he or she is willing to try your case before a jury.
- Ask your attorney what types of cases he or she typically handles as well as whether the attorney has defended the charge you have been arrested for.
- Be leery of anyone promises or guarantees you specific results. While your attorney can give you a good idea of what to expect, what your options are, and possible outcomes, it is unethical and quite frankly impossible to guarantee you a specific result.
- Don’t be afraid to ask your attorney how he or she plans to build the defense of your case.
The criminal defense lawyers at the Strom Law Firm, LLC provide an aggressive, well planned defense and will fight to have your charges reduced or even dismissed. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss the facts of your situation and hear how we can help.